One last patch before I fly off to Vegas. No, not to gamble over Easter, you fools.
This patch works with Version 2.1.7 only — please make sure you have Version 2.1.7 installed before downloading. This patch addresses the following problems:
- Fixed an exploit in netplay that would crash the game for all connected players.
- Fixed an issue with the GIF movie code that would occasionally output corrupt files.
- Fixed a few more issues with OpenGL rendering (and included the proper r_opengl.dll this time).
- Fixed a few Lua hooks that completely stopped working in 2.1.7.
I told you all this would be the year of 2.1, and I wasn’t kidding. How many other years have we made eight releases in?
This release is being provided both in the form of an installer for those new to the game, and a patch for those who have already installed 2.1. The patch works with any previous version of 2.1.
This release fixes the following issues:
- Fixed an exploit where Bounce Rings would give rings to teammates without disappearing.
- Fixed an exploit with Tails being able to ascend and keep his flying speed unchanged when over the speed cap.
- Tails was given Super transformation sprites (courtesy of Iceman).
- Fixed Super Knuckles in Match not having a speed bonus applied to his gliding.
- Fixed Knuckles being able to use the Whirlwind Shield after leaving a glide.
- The Final Boss now conveys a certain line-of-sight attack with a guideline as well as a target.
- Fixed custom Record Attack replays not working for maps above a certain number.
- Fixed ghosts in Egg Rock Zone 2 always being flipped, even when they left the starting area.
- Fixed bounded console variables being set to MIN when given any string (including MAX).
- Many small fixes were made to OpenGL rendering, including fixing Splitscreen mode not working properly.
- Many fixes and minor changes were made to the maps.
- Optimized the Lua backend a bit. There should be less lag when using Lua, especially in object-heavy levels.
- The game no longer crashes if you refer to a custom console command with the wrong case.
- The game’s internal console commands can now be replaced with Lua console commands.
You know, I’d love to order a pizza right about now, but some bum removed the ORDERPIZZA command a year or two ago.
This patch is compatible with every previous release of 2.1 (surprise!) and changes the following things:
- A timer was added when replaying the special stage levels via NiGHTS Mode.
- Fixed CTF mode for what will hopefully be the last time.
- Fixed the Scatter Ring not working properly.
- Fixed a crash when two people with Armageddon Shields hit each other.
- Forceskin no longer crashes dedicated servers and also outputs a special message on change.
- Some bugs were fixed regarding Knuckles’s sliding along the ground.
- Still more minor level fixes.
If you were one of those poor saps that guessed 2.1.4 would be stable, then I’m sorry to say you lost that bet.
This patch works for any previous version of 2.1 and fixes the following:
- Numerous errors in Egg Rock Zone 3 were fixed.
- If you have any Record Attack replays for ERZ3, you must remove them before trying to play ERZ3 in Record Attack again. This is because some of the old bugs resulted in writing corrupt data to the replay files.
- Fixed character switching while Super Sonic in netgames leaving you stuck as another character with one of Super Sonic’s flashing colors.
- Fixed an issue with resynching CTF netgames.
- Once again fixed the game crashing if you were hanging on the center chain as the CEZ3 boss dies.
- Fixed the final boss’s bombs causing major lag in certain situations.
- More minor level fixes.
- HUD drawing functions can now use v.patchExists(string) to check if a patch exists without having to cache it.
- Three extra configurable buttons were added that Lua can use for custom actions.
Anyone placing any bets for what version number we’ll be on until everything is stable?
This patch works for any previous version of 2.1 and includes the following changes:
- The multiplayer consistency protection code was rewritten to help netgames be more stable.
- You can now add files to your own server without kicking yourself out of the game (fixed for real this time).
- A lot of video code was rewritten to add features to both renderers.
- OpenGL now has proper transparent patch support, and can now draw both the cropped pictures in the character select menu and the small player icons used for continues.
- OpenGL should now draw the menus and HUD in their proper locations.
- OpenGL now supports skyboxes.
- OpenGL should now support MD2s better.
- Software now supports the translucent HUD option.
- Software now supports drawing any patch at any size with any translucency level and colormap. (This is mostly of interest to those doing Lua scripted HUD work.)
- Additional functions added to the HUD library for Lua scripting.
- Analog mode is now properly saved and restored after exiting the game.
- More minor bugfixes and level related fixes.
Sorry I don’t have the wit of Mystic, but I do have more bugfixes for everyone. This patch works with any previous version of 2.1 and fixes the following bugs:
- Castle Eggman 3:
- Fixed a crash when hanging on the center chain as it disappears.
- You should no longer be able to dodge the spikeballs by standing up against the walls.
- Minor map related modifications to make the pinch phase a bit easier.
- Visual errors with objects extremely far above or below you have been fixed.
- Fixed the game freezing in some circumstances without producing an error log; most notably in Red Volcano 1.
- You can no longer pause the game in Record Attack or NiGHTS Mode.
- Fixed the -room command line parameter; hosting on the Master Server through the command line is now possible again.
- A few other minor map related fixes.
- A few minor display issues were fixed.
As usual with a big release, we’re overloaded with bugs and we’re still in the process of hammering them out. This patch works for either 2.1.0 or 2.1.1 and fixes the following:
- You can now collect the hidden emblems in record attack; you still can’t get the record attack emblems in the normal game, though.
- Fixed a major issue with joining mid-round in netgames. Hopefully this should help deal with a lot of the quirky behavior netgames are currently experiencing.
- Fixed an issue where adding WAD files while running a server would always remove you from your own server.
- Fixed an issue with one of the secret stages being impossible to complete.
- Fixed a bunch of little level errors.
- Fixed a bunch of other minor bugs.
Please keep reporting any bugs you continue to find on the Bug Reports forum. You’ve all already been a big help in this regard.
Like every other release day, things never go off without a hitch. Head on over to the download page to download the patch. This patch fixes the following:
- Fixed an issue that was causing people with non-English locales to have the following issues (among others):
- Knuckles was unable to jump.
- The camera was not properly following the player.
- Nimbus Ruins should now properly work.
- Touching a mine in Deep Sea Zone should no longer crash the game.
If you find any more bugs this patch doesn’t fix, please head to the Bug Reports forum to see if it’s already been reported, and if it hasn’t, report it. Hopefully we can all nail down these issues and get 2.1.X stable in the near future.
SRB2 v2.1 has finally been released! Yes, really! Head on over to the download page to download it. This is a new installation entirely, so you probably will want to place it in a new folder entirely instead of overwriting your previous installation. Do note that as with every major release, we are only giving out a torrent download for the first day.
Read on for an overview of the changes in the new version:
If you’re one of those people that doesn’t spend all day checking IRC for the absolute latest updates, here’s a bit of a catch-up post for the holidays. Unfortunately, I can’t show much without ruining some special surprises; but nevertheless, here’s what I can show you guys: