Given how close in proximity we are to a release, I think it’s time that I go over a few of the more major (if also controversial) changes that lay ahead. As I see it, it’s only fair that you guys get some foresight to what’s about to go down in the next little while.
As Bill Nye once said, please “Consider the Following” for v2.0.5’s release:
- As a result of the MS Reform, we can no longer provide legacy support for older SRB2 versions on the Master Server. In other words, upon launch, no official/unofficial version of SRB2 prior to v2.0.5 will be compatible with the MS. Attempting to connect to the MS with these versions will result in the game locking up. This includes v2.0.4 (and all of its respective EXE mods), 1.09.X, SRB2JTE, and any other version you can think of. There’s nothing we can do to retain compatibility with the new MS, so you’re just going to have to play over IP.
- The Master Server banlist will be purged at launch. Since we are rewriting the MS rules, it makes sense to clean the slate of those stuck beneath our old rules.
- The old “reporting” system has been redone from scratch to suit the needs of the new Master Server, and has been completely integrated with our message board software.
- I’d also like to take this moment to discourage those who go around and join netgames for the sole purpose of finding a server to file a complaint about. We are redesigning the MS rules with this goal in mind, and hope that the complaint box will be used only when absolutely necessary.
- Due to the changes to the IWAD and the in-game physics, all time attack records and demos will be invalid.
- Oogaland’s SRB2 Launcher (not to be confused with the launcher on the download page) will not be compatible with v2.0.5, and will cease to function after its release.
More info on what’s changing (including the full 204-to-205 changelog) to come at launch. See you then!